Total Pageviews

Thursday 18 July 2019

The 2019 Docklow Trophy - July 6th to 13th

So here it was, the wait finally over.

The Docklow Trophy was up for grabs again...
After winning the first one in 2016 by the closest of margins, I was well and truly beaten in 2017 and thrashed in 2018 so I was desperate to regain the prestigious award.
I also headed to Docklow with a narrow three point lead in this years league standings too so I knew a heavy loss at Docklow would put Dad well in front and on course for the league title too.
The pressure was on...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH 1 - Figure of Eight Lake - 4 Hours 30 Minutes match - David on peg 4, Big T on peg 5

The opening match was a short match of less than five hours and a match we didn't start until Mid Afternoon. The lake we chose to fish was the figure of eight lake, a lake we had never fished before so it was into the unknown for both of us.
The weather was warm and muggy and a slight feel of rain in the air.
The match was a tight affair that could have gone either way. I caught a lot more fish than Big T (I landed 12 compared to Big T's 5) however a lot of mine were small skimmers. I did manage three Carp though, two of which were over 5 lb for a total weight of 19 lb 7 oz. Dad finished with 12 lb 5 oz but the match will be remembered for the fish lost rather than the fish caught. I was snapped in the lillies twice but Dad lost FOUR so if we had landed all these lost fish the result could have been reversed but I will take an opening win. My Common Carp of 6 lb 4 oz helped me take the further point to win 5-0. Brilliant start for me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH 2 - Match Lake - 8 Hours 45 Minutes match - David on peg 8, Big T on peg 7

Match 2 was held on the Match Lake, a lake we had done well but also very poorly on previously.
It was warm and sunny today so we were happy
This match was even tighter than the previous days match.
I landed 15 fish, one shy of Dad's total of 16 and I was under 3 lb short of Dads total weight too (I weighed in 33 lb 12 oz to Dads 36 lb 7 oz)
I did however get the largest fish of the day. A huge 4 lb 6 oz F1 winning me a solitary point
Dad wins 4-1. Back to the drawing board for me ….

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH 3 - Farmer Jack Lake - 9 Hours 30 Minutes match - David on peg 43, Big T on peg 42

Match 3 was on Farmer Jack, a lake I can never get the better of Big T on....
I was desperate for a win or doubts would start to set in. I felt under so much pressure as the match started.
A nice Common Carp was my highlight with the 5 lb 6 oz fish going on to win me the point for biggest fish.
I netted constantly during the match, F1's being the majority of the fish I bagged.
I landed a total of 20 fish for 49 lb 8 oz.
The match like the previous two was nip and tuck all day and with 3 minutes to go I was holding on...
Then disaster!!!! Big T bagged the 3 lber he needed to win the match. After netting it, the match was over...…
No way!!!!! Dad wins 4-1. Terrible night ahead for me, surely this wasn't going the same way as the previous two years.... I was in trouble

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH 4 - Stock Pond - 10 Hour match - David on peg 4, Big T on peg 3

Match 4 was on the Stock Pond, another lake we hadn't fished before but one I had always wanted to. Previously the lake was "Float Only" but was now any method.
This match was unbelievable...
The match just like the last three days was nip and tuck with the lead changing hands several times whilst we both caught lots of fish.
I caught 34 fish, most small F1's but a nice Common of 4 lb 5 oz was enough to win the biggest fish point.
Big T landed 40 fish though to win the other single point.
The total weights were Dad a very good 72 lb 14 oz but a huge weight of 80 lb was my total so won me the 3 points for biggest total weight
The match only really swung in the last 90 minutes when I forged ahead. It was a fantastic match and possibly my favourite of the 4 years at Docklow
A 4-1 win for me was much appreciated
I now lead 11-9 for the week. It was still all to play for

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH 5 - Mickey Mouse Pond - 9 Hour match - David on peg 29, Big T on peg 28

Match 5 was on Mickey Mouse Pond, a lovely pond unfortunately spoilt by too many lilly pads. Of the 50 or so pegs I reckon only a dozen are fishable.
We chose pegs on the roadside and like the previous days the weather forecast was for warm weather and sun.
Would the match be like the last four days, very close??
Well.....Yes it would
I once again caught pretty much all day, mostly silvers though but they all add up...
After the 9 hours I had caught 25 fish for a total of 37 lb 11 oz. Dad meanwhile caught a lot more than me (38 fish) but of a much smaller stamp. He finished with a total weight of 34 lb 6 oz. Very close considering he lost THREE fish in the final ten minutes....
Could that be his chance gone??
My 4 lb 14 oz Common Carp was the biggest catch of the session however Dads perfect 4 lb Perch was the highlight of a good days fishing.
4-1 win for me again meant I now lead 15-10 and needed only 3 points from the remaining two matches.. Could I really win back the trophy? Could I win it tomorrow with a day spare??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH 6 - Tench Pool - 9 Hour match - Both on roadside pegs (un-numbered)

Match 6 was on the Tench Pool, a lake we hated last year when we first fished it, but could today be any better? Could I win the trophy today??
The weather for the first time this week wasn't great. It was warm but overcast and a couple of downpours albeit not for long meant we fished under the brollies a couple of times.
The match was atrocious...
Big T caught 15 fish including a nice little Barbel and I caught a couple of really nice Tench in my total of 8 fish caught but it was a very slow, long match with not much excitement
Big T was infront all day and it stayed like that as he closed the match out with a total weight of 18 lb 9 oz. My fish weighed a rubbish 13 lb 9 oz but 3 lb 10 oz Tench was enough to at least get me the one point
Dad wins 4-1. We go to a final day decider....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH 7 - Moby Dick Lake - 9 Hours 45 Minutes match - David on peg 35, Big T on 34

Match 7 and the Trophy decider.
It all came down to this after 6 previous days of titanic battles on the lakes
I lead 16-14 coming into the match so I could afford to lose 3-2 and still win the Trophy but a 4-1 or 5-0 defeat would spell disaster for me and a win for Big T
The weather was good and we chose pegs on the opposite bank to where we normally fish.
It was a double peg and we both had the same island infront of us and trees to either margin.
The pressure was unbearable and Big T raced into a 12 lb lead with some great angling in the opening part of the match.
Before lunch I had fought back, caught the biggest fish of not only the day but of the week (Common Carp of 7 lb 2 oz) and we were basically level at the break
This was unbelievable, the last match, a finale to decide who wins this years trophy and it was going to the wire.
After dinner I upped my game and targeted the silvers, netting them for fun in a fantastic 2 hour spell to get infront. The silvers meant I had a lead of about 6/7/8 fish so that point was looking safe. Could I get the other point I needed though? My 7 lb 2 oz was still the biggest fish and the total weights were within ounces so Dad needed the big one... Could he get it??
We entered the final minutes of the match with Dad desperately trying to snare a big one that could win the match and trophy but it never came. I held on Yessssssssssssssssss
My total weight of 45 lb 7 oz was just over a 1 lb infront of Big T's total weight.
I finished with 30 fish to Dads 22 and my big Common meant even though it could have turned in the last second I actually got all 5 points today to win 5-0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chuffed to bits to win back the trophy I last held in 2016.
The final score being 21 points to 14 points

A fantastic week of not only fishing, but good food, drink and fantastic company. It was a great laugh and I enjoyed every minute of it. Hope to go back and put the title on the line again in 2021 after a year out next year

BRILLIANT


No comments:

Post a Comment