Total Pageviews

Wednesday 18 July 2018

7th July 2018 to 14th July 2018 - Docklow Pools

Here it was Docklow 2018. Our annual trip down to Docklow Pools in Herefordshire

We were booked in to stay in "Treetops" Apartment and had booked for 7 nights.

The weather forcast was for hot sunny weather all week, this would surely suit Dads Pole Fishing approach wouldnt it???

We got to Docklow Pools shortly before 11am after calling at the Supermarket on the way and checked ourselves in. The Apartment was large, clean and very homely...

We decided not to fish the first day as England were playing in the World Cup that afternoon so we chose to have a chilled out day. A few beers, watch the footy, go for a walk etc

As i lay in my bed on Saturday eve, I was nervously looking forward to getting the Docklow Trophy underway in the morning. It was to be 6 days fishing so 30 points up for grabs. The first to 16.5 would win the trophy. Also, all points went towards the league total too. I brought with me a 13 point lead, surely I wouldnt relinquish it would I ???

DAY 1 - SUNDAY 8/7/18
MATCH LAKE
DAVID PEG 10, TERRY PEG 9
This was a 9.5 hours match and was very difficult. The weather was scorching and all the big Carp were just cruising near the surface not interested in eating. Dad was always in control of the match staying a couple of pound in-front of me with 5 fish caught each. I dabbled with the Pole a little bit but with limited luck. Back on the rod with 2 hours to go, I landed a Carp to narrowly take the lead, however with only 20 minutes to go Dad caught a Carp to regain the lead and hold on for a narrow victory. 
We both caught 6 fish each, I ended up with a total of 13 lb 3, Dad had 17 lb 1 oz. My biggest fish was 5 lb 2 oz, Dads was 4 lb 10 oz.

Final score - DAVID 1.5, DAD 3.5



DAY 2 - MONDAY 9/7/18
TENCH POOL
This was an 8 hour match and our first time fishing this lake. The match was nip and tuck even though we both had contrasting days. I had long periods of inactivity catching only 7 fish, whereas Dad was catching all the time, all be it tiny tiddlers. With 10 minutes to go I took the lead with a nice tench banked, but Dad throw the Pole back out and got a couple more tiddlers to snatch a late win again....
I finished with 7 fish for 15 lb 2 oz, Dad had 31 fish for 15 lb 9 oz. My biggest fish was 3 lb 9 oz, Dads was 3 lb 7 oz

Final score - DAVID 1, DAD 4



DAY 3 - TUESDAY 10/7/18
MICKEY MOUSE LAKE
DAVID PEG 20, TERRY PEG 21
This was a 9 hour match on what used to be our favourite lake. This year the lake has had a lilly pad bloom and as a result a lot of the pegs are basically unfishable which was disappointing. We found a double peg and in what was our third day of scorching hot weather settled down for what proved to be an easy victory for Dad. I lost a big fish in the lillys but apart from that had a day of catching little fish, Dad was catching a lot more on the pole but again only little stuff however they all add up.
I ended up with 18 fish for 18 lb, Dad had 48 fish for 25 lb 9 oz. Dads biggest fish was only 1 lb 13 oz whereas I had a 3 lb Carp to at least gain 1 point.

Final acore - DAVID 1, DAD 4



DAY 4 - WEDNESDAY 11/7/18
FARMER JACK LAKE
DAVID PEG 35, TERRY 34
This was a 9 hour match and although a better day for me catch wise, I didnt win a point ! Dad was awesome today catching a better stamp of fish than me almost every catch. I did well to be fair landing 21 fish for 33 lb 8 oz, however Dad caught 5 more than me but in weight hammered me ending up with 64 lb 11 oz. Another defeat for me and my third on bounce. Disaster... Dad won 4 out of 4 and had clinched the Docklow Trophy for the second year running.
I was gutted knowing I lost a huge fish too. I got snapped by what felt like a double figure beast but the "one that got away" doesnt count!!

Final score - DAVID 0, DAD 5



DAY 5 - THURSDAY 12/7/18
MATCH LAKE
DAVID PEG 31, TERRY 31
This match was supposed to be on the Figure of 8 lake but after an hour we decided to go back on the Match Lake instead and I'm glad we did. Although I had lost the Trophy, more worryingly my season lead had been eaten. I came to Docklow 13 points clear and now heading into todays match we were level!!
The pegs we had were full of ants, the sunny weather had been replaced by rain and we didnt have brollys or coats or trousers so fishing in shorts in the rain it was and as expected the rain suited me. The fish were deeper and suited my style of fishing.
I fished very well and ended up catching 23 fish for 66 lb 12 oz, Dad had 17 fish for 48 lb 4.5 oz. My Biggest fish of 6 lb was the biggest of the day too
Finally a victory for me and a bit of pride back

Final score - DAVID 5, DAD 0



DAY 6 - FRIDAY 13/7/18
MOBY DICK LAKE
DAVID PEG 6, TERRY PEG 5
This match was a shortish match of 7 hours 15 minutes due to a storm due at 3pm. 
It was a pretty dull match to be honest with the highlight being a Pigeon swooping down and hitting Dad on the head not once, but twice. I only caught 11 fish for a measly 12 lb 14 oz. Dad faired slightly better with 20 lb 6 oz from 24 fish. Dad also had the biggest fish of the day and in fact week with a 7 lber to win 5-0 and finish the week in style and also draw level for the season again

Final score - DAVID 0, DAD 5



So...... I was thrashed. Dad won the trophy 21.5 v 8.5 and well deserved too, he fished well and I have to start using the pole more before we return next year.

I caught 86 fish in the 6 days, Dad caught 152, My overall weight was 159 lb 7 oz, Dads was 191 lb 8 oz

It was a fantastic week and I enjoyed it very much
Roll on next Summer when we return for the 4th year

More importantly we are now level for this season with only 7 matches to go and I definately am starting to feel the pressure







No comments:

Post a Comment